Yes, this approach has worked much better. I see only two drawbacks.

1) The first time the menu is opened, it takes as much as two seconds for it to
appear. This only seems to be true for the first instance of the menu that is
opened. (It’s a popup menu in a document window, so different documents will
each have their own instance of it.) Is there a way I can precache whatever it
is that takes so long that first time (the fonts I’m guessing)?

2) The attributed title is also displayed in the NSPopupButton, where I would
rather see the font name displayed int he system font. (As in the font popup in
Pages.) Is there a way to force the button to not use the attributedTitle of
the selected NSMenuItem?

David