I’m exploring the use of the new IB_DESIGNABLE macro to preview a custom view
live in IB.

It keeps complaining that my view is taking too long to draw, over 200mS, which
seems to be a limit built into IB. However, when I measure the time myself for
drawing, it’s nowhere near this long - 10mS max, typically 2mS. Because of this
constant and apparently erroneous complaint, IB doesn’t show my custom view.
I’ve even tried to do some minimal drawing (just filling the dirty rect) for
just the Interface Builder target, but I get the same problem, so it’s pretty
clear that the timeout is nothing to do with my drawing.

At other times IB complains that the rendering agent “crashed”, though it’s
actually an exception from the bowels of Core Graphics. My usual drawing code
never triggers the same exception, only when it’s drawn by the IB rendering
agent.

Has anyone been able to make this work?

—Graham