I’m trying to use SplitViewController/NSSplitViewItem (both new in OS X 10.10)
objects combo to control NSSplitView instances in my application.

First off, even though I’ve got the latest version of Apple documentation
installed, it completely omits NSSplitViewItem reference. That class is only
mentioned in explanations of related methods of NSSplitViewController, but it’s
nowhere really documented. I had to resort to class-dumping the AppKit in order
to find out it’s interface. I’ll definitely file a bug for this.

Now, into the subject. NSSplitViewItem implements NSAnimatablePropertyContainer
protocol, which means one can use its animator proxy to animate animatable
properties. The properly I’m interested in is “collapsed”, so that I can
simultaneously animate collapsing/uncollapsing of a couple of subviews/item of
the split view. I can easily do that using NSAnimationContext and running
animation group(s) with completion handler(s). However, I need more control
over animation execution. For example, it may happen a new animation is about
to start before while the previous one is still in progress. In such case I
need to interrupt/stop the previous animation before starting a new one. There
are other situations as well, which require more tight control over animation
execution. Simple NSAnimationContext animation group running doesn’t provide
such flexibility, so I want to add/remove CAAnimation instances directly.
However, NSSplitViewItem doesn’t have any CALayer backing up, so I don’t know
how to use CAAnimation with it.

Does anyone know more about this?

-- Dragan