Thanks Alex,

I have set an exception breakpoint but it never fires - and I will
experiment with popping the second view controller programmatically and
scrolling up.

I think this has to do with my elementary understanding of how
UICollectionViews are reused in this type of transition animation - I've
learned, for instance, that the datasource isn't actually changing (as part
of "useLayoutToLayoutNavigationTransitions").

A tangental point I'm better understanding is that this property really
just causes collection view controller push transitions to use the 'pushed'
controller's layout ... (ie: the datasource is ignored).

For example, tapping on a particular picture in a grid and pushing a new
collection view controller on the stack might not actually change the
existing picture data but does potentially reflow the layout - like, could
make the selected picture huge. Yes, I am thinking that is probably the
purpose of setting this particular property.

Thanks again for looking and replying!
-Luther