On 6/3/2015 20:29, Graham Cox wrote:
On 4 Jun 2015, at 10:20 am, Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde...@fjrhome.net> wrote:

I am wondering if the browser is actually caching an image of the cells in the
second column when I switch away, then just displaying that without actually
recreating the cells in the second column until it needs one of them for
something?  That might explain the behavior I am seeing, and may be a sensible
optimization in most cases, but in this instance it is not very helpful for my
particular application.

Sounds very doubtful.

[self controlView] is probably unreliable in your cell - you might want to
check it. But even if it’s correct (being the NSMatrix for the browser column)
invalidating the whole thing is going to be very sub-performant (though should
work).

Note that NSBrowser, unlike a NSTableView, allocates one cell per row within a
NSMatrix - it does not reuse and redisplay a single cell.

—Graham

My method isn't even being called at that point, so it never gets that far.