Hi list,

I'm trying to replicate a portion of UI in a manner similar to the formula
editor of Numbers. For those not familiar, its a widget that floats above the
spreadsheet grid featuring a text view and a button or two.

Currently I am using the addChildWindow:ordered: method on NSWindow to add a
custom borderless window above the grid view and putting an NSTextView in that
window. So far so good.

However, it appears that the parent window of an NSTextView needs to be the key
window in order to receive key events. When I allow the child window to become
key, the 'real' document window containing the main spreadsheet control loses
focus (i.e. the traffic light buttons grey out and the title bar becomes its
inactive colour).

Does anyone know how to allow my NSTextView in a child window to be edited,
without the parent window losing focus?

NSPopover seems to be able to do it, but this might involve private API.
Ideally I'd like to do it without having to subclass the parent window.

Thank you for any pointers,

Ben