I've been running jdk 1.3.1, Redhat 7.1 (2.4 kernel), jboss/tomcat
(2.2.2/3.2.2), cocoon b2 running on a 500 MHz machine with 512 MB ram
and found the following.

The stability issues for me seem to stem from the svg renderers thus
making the stability of the overall system quite bad (read jvm core
dumps). I haven't been able to reproduce the dump in a consistent
fashion (it seems to occur if you leave the service idle for a while,
come back, run an svg task that has previously executed, boom, core
dump. If ever I have a reproducible procedure I'll post it.

I attempted to use the latest IBM jdk, but it complains about
permissions to write to directories that the sun jdk is happy with
(guidance on configuration with the ibm jdk would be much appreciated).

Despite the about I am still persisting with cocoon on linux even though
from my personal experience the win2k installation is more stable.

k.