Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Team,
>
> Please try the new "-Dbuild.precompile=true" option in the build script. It will
>generate Java
> Source(s) for all XSP's and Sitemap's in WEB-INF/classes and even compiles them.
>These
> pre-generated files will be then be added to cocoon.war.
>
> The feature is mainly targeted at production Servlet Engines that accept WAR files.
>The assumption
> is that all the "dynamic" stuff like updating sitemap's, xsp's on the fly and
>regenerating
> .java/.class from *.XSP and *.XMAP are not really needed one the development cycle
>is over.

Uh, cool.

Which reminds me of an idea I had a while back:

we could create a 'deploy my stuff for production' build process that
could also *precompile* the XML files using my SAX-compilation thing.

That would have two major side effects:

1) performance: parsing a compiledXML file is somewhat 8/10 times faster
than using a non-validating parser (tried with both xerces and crimson,
careful: your mileage may vary)

2) unmodificability: these XML files become binary and you can't modify
them in production even if you wanted to. I think this is a good thing
since if people change things on production and then a new build is
deployed on top, the changes are gone.

Sure, the above is bad practice but would you bet it will happen? making
those 'production XML' binaries, we might save lots of pain, don't you
think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                             Friedrich Nietzsche