Hi,
in postgres you have datatypes which are not in the sql standard
and you can define your own datatypes.
Two datatypes from postgres that I use often are bit() and bit varying().
If I call <esql:get-columns/> than the page crahses because the column type
for bit and bit varying is java.sql.Types.OTHER
Look at this snippet from esql:xsl:
switch(_esql_query.getResultSet().getMetaData().getColumnType(_esql_i)){
   case java.sql.Types.ARRAY:
   case java.sql.Types.STRUCT:
      break;

   case java.sql.Types.OTHER: // This is what Informix uses for Sets, Bags, Lists
      this._esql_printObject(_esql_query.getResultSet().getObject(_esql_i), xspAttr);
      break;

   default:
      // standard type
      <xsp:content>
      <xsp:expr>
        <xsl:call-template name="get-string-encoded">

We get the Exception because in the postgres driver there is no getObject for bit or
bit varying,
but get-string-encoded for such columns is ok (you can of course define your own
extension classes).
I would propose to switch between different database systems in "case
java.sql.Types.OTHER"

Can anybody using Informix tell me what is the result of
"connection.getMetaData().getURL();"?
Should we make "String jdbcSource;" public in EsqlConnection?

Regards,
Michael