Enke, Michael wrote:
> Hi,
> if I look for <i18n:date-time/> in html with zh_CN locale then I see
> chinese letters. But if I transform to pdf and view with acroread or print it out,
> these chars are missing, they are replaced with hash marks "#" (netscape from Linux
> and MSIE 6.0 from Windows).

This means the selected font does not have a glyph
for the character. You have to prepare a font containing
chinese glyphs for FOP, install it, and, depending on
the availablility of the font on the reading platform,
embed it into the PDF.
How to prepare the metrics file and what to put into the
FOP configuration cen be glanced from the documentation
  http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html
  http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/serializers/pdf-serializer.html

> Does anybody know if this is a problem of
> - sitemap configuration,
> - FOPSerializer,
> - fop itself or
> - acroread?