From: Enke, Michael [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 12:58 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: encoding of serialized output

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a problem here regarding the encoding of serialized output.
> this is about C2.
>
> I wrote sitemap like this.
>    <map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.text" mime-type="text/text"
> name="text" src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.TextSerializer">
>   </map:serializer>
>  I tried to output text file by cocoon. and it comes out with UTF-8
> encoding.
> but I want cocoon to output text with Japanese encoding like
JIS,Shift-JIS,

> I 'd try this tag between  <map:serializer>  </map:serializer>
> <encoding>JIS</encoding>but it dosen't work.
> How can I tel cocoon to output textfile with Japanese encoding?
>
> I'd appreciate any tips and/or hints.
>
> Thank you.
> itsu .

Hi,
I tried it with ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8
In both cases it was working like expected.
Did you had a look into the logfiles?
Did you really have the encoding inside the <map:serializer>?
like this:
<map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.text" mime-type="text/text"
     name="text" src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.TextSerializer">
 <encoding>JIS</encoding>
</map:serializer>

Does your JVM know JIS encoding?
You can check this with this little program:

import java.nio.charset.*;
import java.util.*;

public class charsets {
  public static void main(String[] argv) {
    SortedMap sm = Charset.availableCharsets();
    System.out.println(sm);
  }
}