Triangle Java Users Group Presents:

Introduction to Cocoon 2.0
presented by Conrad D'Cruz and Andrew Oliver

Monday, October 21, 2002
6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
MCNC Auditorium
3021 Cornwallis Road
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina

Abstract:
Apache Cocoon is a web publishing framework that uses Java, XML, and XSLT technologies
to create server applications. Using
pipelined SAX processing, the applications can be designed for performance and
scalability.

Cocoon 2.0 supports a strong separation of concerns: content, logic, and style, has a
centralized configuration system, and provides
a sophisticated caching system.

In this presentation we will cover the basics of Cocoon and provide a detailed
demonstration of each of the salient features of
Cocoon 2.0.

About Speakers:
Conrad D'Cruz works as a Senior Applications Engineer and designs and implements
server side J2EE applications for CRM web sites. He
has been an active member of the Triangle JUG since 1998 and recently co-authored a
book on Cocoon 2.0 published by Sybex in October
2002. He has since recovered from the ordeal of writing the book and would now like to
give others the benefits of his experiences
over the past 8 months.

Andrew Oliver is a professional cat herder by trade who moonlights as an independent
software developer
(http://www.superlinksoftware.com). When he's not working on a contract doing
something web and/or database related, he's hacking on
the Apache POI project (http://jakarta.apache.org) which he co-founded or is hacking
on Cocoon or playing with a new language called
'D' (http://www.opend.org). You can read more about Andy and his random ramblings
here: http://www.trilug.org/~acoliver/. Andy is
the current Triangle Java Users Group speaker coordinator, secretary, and acting
treasurer.

Agenda: 6:30 - 7:00 PM -- Meet, Talk, Snacks
7:00 - 7:15 -- JUG Business and Announcements
7:15 - 8:15 -- Presentation
8:15 - 8:30 -- Discussion with Presenter
9:00 - Doors close

Admission:
Paid-up members of TriJUG may attend without additional charge. Non members are asked
to pay $5 per meeting. But, if you are either
a full time student or unemployed, then we ask only $2 per meeting.

DIRECTIONS to MCNC:
>From Raleigh:
Take I-40 West toward Durham and Chapel Hill. You will enter RTP. Where I-40 splits,
bear right onto the Durham Freeway North
(Highway 147). Take the Cornwallis Road Exit. At the end of the exit ramp, bear right
- cross back over the Freeway. MCNC is located
approximately 3/4 mile on the right.

>From Durham:
Get on the Durham Freeway South (Highway 147). Take the Cornwallis Road exit. At the
end of the ramp, bear right - MCNC is
approximately 3/4 mile on right.

http://www.trijug.org/