----- Original Message -----
From: "Pier Fumagalli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Steven Noels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Dirk-Willem van Gulik"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [important proposal] Cocoon as official Apache project

> "Steven Noels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> >
> >> Daedalus and Icarus are located in San Francisco, and Proxy-Pass is
(IMVHO),
> >> a quite silly idea... Not only we need bandwidth to _deliver_ pages, we
also
> >> need bandwidth to _retrieve_ the pages...
> >
> > Agree, but it would be a nice solution to distribute the load,
> > especially for not-so-dynamic content. I was thinking of the combination
> > of mod_proxy together with mod_cache anyhow. I'll be testing this
> > somewhere next week on a private server.

Works. I've used it quite a bit.

> > Given this setup, the Cocoon community has the ability to showcase its
> > technology while still benefiting from the kind bandwidth donation of
> > Collab/Sun. I know it sounds like piggybacking, but it would provide us
> > with a nice balance of being able to do our own thing, possibly
> > attracting other co-sponsors, until we are able to provide both CPU
> > cycles and bandwidth ourselves.
>
> Can't you just redirect? I mean... If you have to showcase static content
> (that's where mod_cache could help), you can generate it offline, and put
it
> up on daedalus as static HTML files, and forget about it...
>
> If you're generating dynamic content, mod_cache wouldn't help (as it's
> dynamic), and it would only make things harder...
>
> (what's "not-so-dynamic content, btw?)

Many of the dynamically generated Cocoon pages are cacheable and provide
expiration header.
Which means that they are static for some period of time, say 1 hour or 1
day. During that time all request for the URL can be served by a cacheing
proxy server without loading the app server.