On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:21:45AM -0500, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
> >Hi team,
> >
> >Will preparing a presentation, I realized that the new feature in 2.1
> >that allows pipeline implementations to be defined in the
> ><map:components> section of the sitemap leads to some duplicate use of
> ><map:pipeline> and <map:pipelines> :
> >
> >- When used in <map:sitemap>, <map:pipelines> contains <map:pipeline>
> >elements, which define the pipeline assembly instructions. This is
> >what we've been used to up to the current 2.0.x version.
> >
> >- When used in <map:components>, <map:pipelines> also contains
> ><map:pipeline> elements that define the implementations of the
> >Pipeline interface to be used in the above <map:pipelines> !
> >
> >This duplicate use of the same element names IMHO introduces much
> >confusion when you try to explain what a "pipeline" is, as we already
> >use this word for several different things :
> >- a <map:pipeline> section (logical grouping of sitemap statements)
> >- the contents of a <map:match> (the instructions executed for a given
> >URI)
>

> This one is the mistake. You can assemble pipelines without a single
> matcher, with help of actions, selectors, etc. Or, you can have even
> signle pipeline consisting from gen/tr/serializer to serve whole URI space.

Even though this is technically wrong, It doesnt change the fact that its
common pratice to refer to the match blocks as pipelines in cocoon user
land.

To avoid confusion I usually refer these as "match block pipelines" or
simply "match-pipelines". I think there needs to be a standard way to
refer to these, because quite often one wants to discuss the actuall
match block rather than the whole pipeline.

> >- the chain of components that produce the response (generator,
> >transformers, and serializer).
> >
> >So I propose to change the name of <map:pipeline> in the
> ><map:components> part to remove this confusion (also, what about
> >document validation ?)
> >
> >What about
> >- <map:pipeline-handler>
> >- <map:pipeline-manager>
> >- <map:pipeline-runner>
>

> I don't like it, because all the names in the sitemap currently follow
> the pattern:
>  transformer (noun) - transform (verb)
>
> Ideally, we need noun-verb pair for pipeline...

we could change <map:pipeline> to <map:pipe>, which would arguably
conform to the noun - verb convention. However this
name change itself would probably be a cause of confusion.

Regards,
Michael Melhem