I had an offline discussion with Santiago from Sun.
He has found a fix for the bug which we recently posted.

I would like to share with you some of his comments regarding the future of
XSLTC:

 Regarding XSLTC, we've done some performance work a couple of months ago,
but for the most part we were trying to ensure 1.0 conformance. Out of over
1700 tests, we are currently failing 27. We have plans for XSLT 2.0.
However, future versions of XSLTC will be more tightly integrated with
Xalan. The plan is to have a compiler version of Xalan as opposed to two
different products as we have today. In any case, the current version of
XSLTC will still be supported. At this time, it is hard to say whether
future versions of XSLTC will be better performant or not, especially, since
a lot of code will be shared with Xalan. The good news is that the IBM guys
are working around the clock to improve Xalan's performance.

 Regarding your bug report, I'm currently testing the patch; if I don't find
any problems I will be committing the changes during this AM. I'll let you
know.

-=Ivelin=-