THANK YOU!
I just switched to the interpreted sitemap and <map:redirect-to "cocoon:/someuri"/>
does indeed work, but it took a while to get everything else working again.

In cocoon.xconf, why is the "file" attribute of "sitemap" ignored when using the
interpreted sitemap implementation?  Is there a new attribute to use for this purpose?

  <sitemap file="path-and-filename.xmap"/>

Tim