On 05.Mar.2003 -- 09:43 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
> >On ??ro, mar 05, 2003 at 01:16:26 +0100, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> >
> >>So you think cocoon should fix all the bugs that software vendor X
> >>refuses to fix? come on!
> >
> >I have the "pervasive case" in my mind and was reffering to that. I think
> >it's
> >not even a bug (that awful performance) but the way they have designed the
> >SQL
> >layer on Btrieve DB - you have to use it in a specific way to get your
> >results
> >quite fast or you won't get them at all. It's a matter of cocoon if it will
> >support the database or not.
>
> ...well, so you ask for a per database behaviour of esql.
> Doable but not done yet.
>
> Hm... Chris, what do you think about creating a full featured database
> abstraction layer?

You're joking. At least in book, full featured would entail providing
a SQL parser and talking to the server native protocol. Certainly not
as part of Cocoon.

There's Avalon DB for example
http://avalon.apache.org/apps/apps/db/index.html (no idea about the
status, no builds seem available)

There's Jakarta Commons SQL
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/sql/index.html (not quite
the same)

Certainly, OJB needs to take care of such things as well (while it's
not their main point) http://db.apache.org/ojb/

Obviously, Torque has that as well http://db.apache.org/torque/

IOW, yes, it is a cool idea and would help many people a great deal if
done correctly. But it's too big to be a part of Cocoon.

Adding back plain Statements and loading the decision on the developer
is good. Doing it automatically depending on the DBMS is a problem,
though, because we would have to escape and convert parameters.

        Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
[EMAIL PROTECTED]