Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
<snip/>

And, any of these are totally independent from the internationalization. Internationalization affects language used to produce output, but not how the text in this language is encoded (UTF8, UTF16, ISO-1859-1, what-have-you).

true. but you can't have chinese text in US-ASCII, right?

Even if you can not that anybody will be able to read it ;-)
So yes, right.

my point is that having globally-balanced hooks for encoding will allow cocoon to be even more friendly for non-latin-charset needs. I used i18n out of context here, sorry.

<snip/>

I didn't propose that, where did you get that impression?

Your original email was kind of short:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104782195022862&w=2
So I guessed things up a bit.

But I am not convinced that it's sitemap's responsibility to worry about encoding (from SoC POV).

I restate:

1) I want a way for serializers to indicate to the pipeline what is the encoding they will be using, so that the pipeline can set the right HTTP header for it.

+-0, I'm not sure (yet) on this one...

2) also, i want a way to overwrite the sitemap-wide behavior of every single serializers, locally, such as

<map:serialize encoding="UTF-8"/>

when the global serializer configurations state they will be using something else.

But this one is Ok with me and, more over, in line with earlier decision:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=101826371615914&w=2

Is the proposal clear enough?

Clearer, yes :)

Vadim