Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Christopher Oliver wrote:

<snip/>

Only because of the design of XMLForm: it stores the form "view" in the object model and several of the methods of org.apache.cocoon.component.xmlform.Form require the object model as a parameter.

Ah, ok.

Regardless of the flow, there doesn't appear to be lot of consistency in the way Cocoon components communicate: sometimes they stash stuff in request parameters, sometimes in the session, sometimes in the object model. In any case there seems to be no explicit contract,

I'm all in favor of discussing the introduction of such explicit contract and make the system coherent. Do you have something in mind?

We have to define the various scopes of each of these elements :
- context attributes : global to the application (i.e. to all users)
- session attributes : per-user values, common to all requests for a user.
- request attributes : per-request values, common to all internal requests (i.e. "cocoon:") used to handle an external request
- object model : nearly per-request values, "nearly" meaning for the current request (be it internal or external) and all descendant internal requests.

That being said, I don't know if XMLForm should use request or object model...

Sylvain