Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
Paul Duffin wrote:

A problem that I ran into was that Serializers do not have access to the environment (Request / Response). This means that it is very hard to write sophisticated Serializers.

For example? (I think FOP and batik are both pretty sofisticated serializers)

Well... not that much actually: they are both ~200 lines of Java code and all they do is delegate to the underlying framework the XML events grabbing an OutputStream to write to. Agreed, SLOC are a sloppy metric but then again...

The real keyword, however, is not "sophisticated" in an algotithmic sense but "context aware": if a Serializer is not a SitemapModelComponent than there is no way it can decide based on context, be it a Request or any other information. We've been through this many times, and I wander from one side to the other so I have no clear decision in mind...

We worked around this by using it in conjunction with a Transformer that was given the environment and simply passed it on to the Serializer.

The problem with having an environment-dependent serializer is that the cache needs access to it because it might change its behavior depending on environment parameters.

Can't parse this. Care to explain?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino