Others have reported that the newer version of xalan is more "strict" with its expressions and that stylesheets started throwing errors after upgrade. For them, the solution was to fix the stylesheet and then things worked well. Check out the users archives over the last few days/week.

As to the excalibur sources, you should be able to do a checkout from excalibur cvs by date. Check out the tree as it existed on May 20 2003 and you should have what was used to build that jar, no? I find this a pain too, but it comes with the territory (external dependencies on unreleased versions).

Geoff