I had some time this evening so I created a prototype implementation of current FOM design (as documented by Reinhard on the Cocoon Wiki) and checked it into the scratchpad. To try it out add another flow interpreter to cocoon.xconf, like this:
<flow-interpreters>
<component-instance class="org.apache.cocoon.components.flow.javascript.fom.FOM_JavaScriptInterpreter" name="FOM_JavaScript">
<load-on-startup>resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/fom/fom_system.js</load-on-startup>
<reload-scripts>true</reload-scripts>
<check-time>4000</check-time>
<!-- <debugger>enabled</debugger> --> <!-- JavaScript Debugger support -->
</flow-interpreters>

And then select it in your sitemap like this:

 <map:flow language="FOM_JavaScript">
   <map:script src="whatever.js"/>
 </map:flow>

Feel free to hack away,