I just checked the latest wiki on the FOM.  It says:

Map callAction(name,map)
invoques the action indicated by the given name and pass the given map as model
NOTE (SM): I personally believe that the getComponent() method removes all needs for the callAction() method. I foresee a future where the callAction() method will be deprecated. I would personally go the extra mile and avoid having it there altogether, but since there is no easy way to plugin new avalon components at runtime (at least, not as easier as plugging in different actions into the sitemap), I'm in favor of leaving it for now, until 'real blocks' will make it unnecessary.

NOTE (RP): I removed this method as there haven't been any objections. But before we implement the FOM there will be a vote on this. So don't worry!.

From my understandings, if I use cocoon.getComponent() to retrieve an action, how then do I invoke it?

I would imagine I simply call its act method; however, where would I get the objects to act as the redirector, sourceResolver, and objectModel?

(The method signature of an action):

Map act(Redirector redirector, SourceResolver sourceResolver, Map objectModel, String source, Parameters params) throws Exception

Jon