I've read a thread in Cocoon's April mail archives which was getting
interesting but it stopped without a definite conclusion.

I'm using Informix DBMS (but I could also be using MySQL, Oracle, etc
... I wan't portability here!) and I wan't to do something like "INSERT
INTO table1 (column1, column2, column3) VALUES ((SELECT MAX(column1)+1
FROM table1), 0, 0)" without going into multithread issues, i.e., I
wan't to run this query as the only query at that moment operating on
table1. I thought queries operate on an atomic basis, so this INSERT
with a SELECT could be what I really wanted ... but from what I read
here, there are who disagree from this.

thanks for any advices/help !

--
Luis A. Gois