I have just checked out cocoon2 today and suffer the same problem.
document() returns nothing.

> Also, be sure there are no errors in your Users.xml file.  I have found out
> the hard way that Cocoon silently returns nothing from document() if the
> XML file has any errors (e.g., is not well formed.)  This can be very
> frustrating, since you can spend a lot of time trying to figure out whether
> your document() syntax is correct.

I think my files are correct and they are all in the same directory.
But I cannot really find out what's going wrong because there is never an
error message - even if the requested file indeed does not exist :-(

- Stefan