Hi Alexander,
take a look at the following forwarded email response from Berin Loritsch at
Apache.  If you have the same setup as me, this should do the trick:

Fred Tsang wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> My environment is:
>
> Tomcat 3.2.1
> JDK 1.3.1
> Solaris 8
>
> I've placed all the jar files from WEB-INF/lib into my $TOMCAT_HOME/lib
> folder, and removed any duplicates from previous versions.  I'll try
> removing the avalon jars from the lib folder, but I'm a little skeptical.
> If cocoon can't find the classes, how will it operate?
>
> thanks for the tip!

That was your whole problem!  Cocoon 2 is designed to work like servlets are
supposed to work: plug and play.

COCOON 1 TO COCOON 2 MIGRATION

Cocoon 1 forces you to place all the jars in the Tomcat lib directory, this
was unnavoidable at the time but it was because of XSP compilation.  Cocoon
2
discovered how to be able to compile XSP without moving the jars out of the
servlet context lib directory.

1) Remove all unnecessary/conflicting jars from $TOMCATH_HOME/lib
2) Replace $TOMCAT_HOME/lib/{xerces/parser jar} with the version of
   Xerces that comes with Cocoon 2.
3) LEAVE ALL COCOON 2 JARS IN ${context}/WEB-INF/lib