<...>

> Yes, I'm just using Avalon as a catch-all phrase for the whole thing :)
>
> I don't know too much about Avalon, though, haven't used it myself. But
> my boss tells me I have to soon ;-)

The best way to start with Avalon and C2 is to install them and try :)
The installation procedure is much more easier than with C1 (at least in
Tomcat 3.3/4.0b5 and WebLogic 6 sp1) - you just copy cocoon2.war to your
webapp directory and restart your servlet container.
With Tomcat 3.3 - that's all. You get running C2 based on Avalon and you can
start your investigation from the welcome page.
With Tomcat 4.0b5 and WebLogic you will have to make a little additional
steps. (For Tomcat - you'll find instructions on the installation page on
the C2 site). For WL 6 I can tell you what to do if you are interested.

Regards,
    Konstantin Piroumian.