> Let me try :-)
>
> 1) Did you use the same Tomcat on the same machine to serve the saved
> file as compared to the generated file? If not, check the security
> options in your IE (e.g. settings for Internet vs. settings for
> Intranet)

Is used the following scenario:
 - Tomcat on a Win2k Workstation, IE 5.0 on the same Machine (your
sample with Hello World works, from cocoon and from file).
 - Second Machine with IE 5.5 on it, connect to Tomcat on first machine
(in your sample Hello World lacks when served with cocoon, but is there
when served via HTTP from a file).

> 2) Did you call the saved file "myfile.xml" or did you call it
> "myfile.pdf"? If the latter, then do the former.

I called the file "pdf.pdf".
When i call it myfile.xml or something it does of course not work at
all, because tomcat identifes the MIME-Type for files in the filesystem
from the file extension - at this is not .pdf. Or what does you mean?

> 3) Did you set a MIME-Type of "application/pdf" for the saved file? If
> no, then do it.

What do you mean? No, i did set no MIME-Type in the saved file, only the
plain PDF code.
But i tried that to, added a first line as "Content-Type:
application/pdf", put it in my tomcat dir and tried - IE displays it as
text (both versions). But not the content-Type is part of the document
content, what is surely not correct.

> I don't understand you. On one hand you're happy to use a great
> OpenSource software for free, on the other hand you are actively
helping
> MS undermine the OpenSource movement. You're shooting yourself in your
> own foot down the line. One day everyone will use IE and no-one will
be
> able to deploy Cocoon anymore, because IE contains code that
> intentionally searches for competing server software like Cocoon and
> refuses to work with it.

Well, you have to start somewhere and make the right decisions (whether
to use open source etc.), where you are able to. Thats ok for all
aspects of the server side. But i cannot decide for the users of my
applications in the internet, which browser they should use. Most of
them do not know what a Browser really is anywhere, far from being able
to install and use a different browser.
Do you only develop applications for end-user that are developers or
power-users?

Stefan