Berin Loritsch wrote:

> That is a problem inherent in JSP, ASP, and ColdFusion.  Each has their own
>proprietary
> way of handling logic.  XSP is the first "scripting" language that allows you to
> use logicsheets defined in other languages--but any time you use the <xsp:logic/>
>tag,
> you lose portability accross languages.

Well, I don't need the <xsp:logic/> element, I can define my own custom
taglibs. Then I can give the XML file to someone else and he can
implement my custom tags using his personal framework. He can implement
it in PHP, JSP or whatever else he fancies.

> Also, XSP is only used in AxKit and Cocoon at this time.  You are still fairly
>limited
> in your frameworks you can choose.

Yeah, but how many JSP frameworks are out there? How many PHP
frameworks? I don't think the situation with XSP is particularly bad
compared to other projects. The difference is that XSP provides a
generic XML interface.

> Lastly, you can set up Actions that respond to an XML document.  Check out the action
> with the longest name:  AbstractComplimentaryConfigurableAction.  It provides a
>mechanism
> for you to specify a run-time Configuration setup (i.e. an XML file you specify as a
> parameter).  It loads and caches the XML in the form of an Avalon Configuration
>object.

If I understand this correctly, the Avalon Configuration object is kind
of a simplified XML structure without deeper nesting, right?

> Your action can now do very dynamic things and the XML representation of the logic
> is in a portable XML file.

This sounds interesting. If it works and is easy to use, it's
undoubtedly better than XSP redirects. I'll try it when I have a few
weeks :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring