Using Cocoon 2.0 in Tomcat 3.2.2 without apache on Linux 7.1

When I make changes to the sitemap (sub map) for my application I have
to stop tomcat, delete the java files in the work directory and restart.

I am using the following in the main cocoon sitemap.xmap:

  <map:pipeline>
   <map:match pattern="mmsc/**">
    <map:mount uri-prefix="mmsc" src="mmsc/sitemap.xmap"
check-reload="yes"/>
   </map:match>
  </map:pipeline>

but I also tried :

  <map:pipeline>
   <map:match pattern="mmsc/**">
    <map:mount uri-prefix="mmsc" src="mmsc/" check-reload="yes"/>
   </map:match>
  </map:pipeline>

Changes to the main cocoon sitemap.xmap also require deletion of the
java files in work, and a restart of tomcat.
Changes to .xsl or .xsp files are spotted and the files are regenerated
as required.
Why don't the sitemaps recompile?

Mark Miller
Web Architect