I think anybody who know what Cocoon 2 is should've tried at least the
welcome page you pointed me to, this is actually not what I'm seeking
after; if you try to look at the sitemap.xmap you will see the full
implementation for the examples, but in many of the cases you don't
know why things are done so or why others do even exist in the first
place.

What I look for is a tutorial or any paper that explain the usage of
tags like <map:mount>, <map:act>, <map:label>, ..., as well as focusing
some light on good utilization of resources like this snippet:
   <map:match pattern="*">
    <map:generate src="{1}.xml"/>
    <map:select type="load">
     <map:when test="greaterThen('2.5')">
      <map:transform src="./stylesheet/low-graphics.xsl"/>
     </map:when>
     <map:otherwise>
      <map:select>
       <map:when test="is('Mozilla5')">
        <map:transform src="./stylesheet/xul-enabled.xsl"/>
       </map:when>
       <map:otherwise>
        <map:transform src="./stylesheet/general-browser.xsl"/>
       </map:otherwise>
      </map:select>
     </map:otherwise>
    </map:select>
    <map:serialize/>
   </map:match>
Does the Cocoon 2 CVS module provide anything on that?