OK - I think I see where my problem is.  I've been reading through Cocoon1
docs this whole time and didn't really see much information about
logicsheets (until following the link you sent).

Basically, what I'm trying to do is keep all database queries, all dynamic
code, everything development related out of the XML document (which is
pretty much my purpose of using Cocoon in the first place).  Right now, I've
got my own logicsheet (intranet-logic.xsl) and stylesheet (intranet.xsl).
Im doing an "import" in my logicsheet and importing the authentication
logicsheet (since I assume you can't refer to multiple logicsheets in a
single XML file).

So - as I understand it from a concept point of view:
* xml document - holds all the content that will be displayed on the web
(using tags defined in intranet.xsl and intranet-logic.xsl)
* xsl stylesheet - defines the custom tags (like <page>) by transforming the
<page> into html
* xsl logicsheet - contains all programatic information - all dynamic xsp
code (and functions similar to the stylesheet)

The problem with this though - is I'm not sure I understand the relationship
of the logicsheet to the stylesheet.  If I want to do something simple like
check a parameter in the stylesheet to decide what HTML to show, it becomes
a bit of a pain.  I can't seem to use the request logicsheet from inside my
stylesheet document (i can, but it never returns anything)... so I have to
create a special tag in my logicsheet which then uses the request logicsheet
to read the value.

But even with this, I've noticed something strange when doing this inside my
logicsheet... here is the code:
<xsl:variable name="screen"><request:get-parameter
name="screen"/></xsl:variable>

If I do this, then attempt to do an xsl:choose on it, it never works and
always falls to the otherwise...
<xsl:choose>
  <xsl:when test="$screen='whatever'">
    Print some stuff here
  </xsl:when>
  <xsl:otherwise>
    I always get here
  </xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>

It also does this if I do an
<xsp:expr>request.getParameter("screen")</xsp:expr> instead of the
<request:get-parameter>.  But, if I print out the value of $screen using
<xsl:copy-of select="screen"/> it is 'whatever' (or whatever string should
make the test true).

Anways - it's all starting to get a little clearer now (at least I think it
is), thanks for all the help!

- Brent