Has anyone out there gotten a customer Producer to work in Cocoon 1?

I have been playing with Cocoon1 and running it in my Orion apps server.
With this I have been able to convert XML file input to  PDF output on the
fly. That works fine and I have been pleased with the results. In our
application however the XML is stored in a blob in the database. So I want
to build a custom Producer class that gets the XML from the database through
an EJB layer. I have built a class StatementXMLProducer that does this. I
have compiled this class and put it in a separate jar file. In the
Cocoon.properties file I have added:
producer.type.statement = com.bellhowell.eroute.cocoon.StatementXMLProducer

I have taken this new jar and placed on my CLASSPATH and in several key
places in my apps server but when I try to access it I get:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error creating
com.bellhowell.eroute.cocoon.StatementXMLProducer: class is not found
So I have a couple of questions

1) Where do you put your custom Producer class to make it work?

2) How do you invoke the customer producer?

3) Is a custom producer class the best way to go?

Thanks for your response!