After a week of head scratching and the help of a nice person name Juerg
Lehni I got an alternative to Xvfb working. My problem was that I wanted
Apache + Tomcat 4.0 + Cocoon to startup at bootup on my laptop. Using Xvfb
is not really an option in this setup.

Searching through the mail archives I found a reference to the PJA toolkit
which replaces the native Java AWT tools with non-X dependent hooks to
render components. I finally got this setup to work and it works great.

A concern I have is that neither setting up Xvfb or PJA is in the Cocoon
FAQ. Is this something that should be added? This question, from my perusal
of the mail archives, comes up a lot. I would be willing to write the PJA
part. Is anyone interested in this?

Jeremy Michael Crosbie