I had core dumps of the Java VM after upgrading to Suse 7.2, because of a clash
with the new glibc. It might be what you are seeing. If it is, then the proposed
solution by Sun is to execute:
 ulimit -s 2048
before launching the java virtual machine. This limits the stack size, which was
the behaviour of the previous glibc.