I'm having a similar problem with pooling setup for Interbase.  I've used
the Cocoon2 sample for ESQL to edit my page, sitemap, etc. but it still
won't work.

I've defined the datasource "cl" (that's C and L -- not C and ONE) and in
cocoon.xconf as:
  <datasources>
    <jdbc name="cl">
      <pool-controller min="5" max="10"/>

<dburl>jdbc:interbase://localhost/d:/www/interbase/data/dev01.gdb</dburl>
      <user>user</user>
      <password>pass</password>
    </jdbc>
  </datasources>

and left the "default" cocoon2 datasource of "personnel" (so the C2 samples
still work):
  <datasources>
    <jdbc name="personnel">
      <pool-controller min="5" max="10"/>
      <dburl>jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://localhost:9002</dburl>
      <user>sa</user>
      <password></password>
    </jdbc>
  </datasources>

In my XSP page I have:
<xsp:page
    language="java"
    xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp";
    xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2";

    <page>
        <pagetitle>Employees Working Report</pagetitle>
    <esql:connection>
        <esql:pool>cl</esql:pool>
        <esql:execute-query>
            <esql:query>select * from employee</esql:query>
            <esql:results>
                <esql:row-results>
                    <employee>
                        <lastname><esql:get-string
column="last_name"/></lastname>
                        <firstname><esql:get-string
column="first_name"/></firstname>
                        <empid><esql:get-string
column="employee_id"/></empid>
                        <esql:no-results>
                            <user>No one is working</user>
                        </esql:no-results>
                    </employee>
                </esql:row-results>
            </esql:results>
      </esql:execute-query>
    </esql:connection>
    </page>
</xsp:page>

I am getting this error in my cocoon.log file when my XSP page tries to use
the pool:
ExcaliburComponentSelector: datasources: ComponentSelector could not find
the component for hint: cl
working4_xsp: Could not get the datasource
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: datasources:
ComponentSelector could not find the component for hint: cl

If I change the XSP page to use these lines in place of the "esql:pool"
lines, it works:
        <esql:driver>interbase.interclient.Driver</esql:driver>

<esql:dburl>jdbc:interbase://localhost/d:/www/interbase/data/dev01.gdb</esql
:dburl>
        <esql:username>user</esql:username>
        <esql:password>pass</esql:password>

Russell, did you get yours to work?