yesterday I've integrated cocoonrc1 and an enterprise application with EJB
in jbos2.4.3+tomcat4.0

I had problems with XML transformers...

befor that,
I was explicitely setting Xerces as the SAXParserFactory and
DocumentBuilderFactory,
like you do above...
I've also tried to remove crimson from jboss... but I had problem...

in fact I've removed the JAXP properties, and put in the classpath
xerces.jar (which contain magic files /services/./...SAXParserFactory that
replace the properties, accordin to the java service API), then crimson.jar
(maybe usefull, but not dangerous)

now both cocoon and my EJB's works together...

note thet the problem may come from a setProperties in Cocoon2...

In my opinion cocoon SHOULD NOT "setProperties" globally...
this breaks often other programs that depend on crimson and alike...