Actually, very sorry - I think I gave you the wrong advice here.  From the docs: "A
serializer is the end point of an xml pipeline. It transform SAX events in binary or
char streams for final client consumption."

So I think what I told you to do is wrong.  Having a stylesheet that outputs TEX
doesn't help you, since the serializer that runs after it to generate PDF is expecting
XML input (SAX events).

Very sorry for the bad info.

So sounds like your options are:

1)
* Modify your XSL to write pseudo-TEX (i.e., TEX commands formatted as XML SAX events)
* Write a serializer that takes pseudo-TEX, and feeds it into the pdflatex utility (if
this is even possible) or generates PDF in some other way

2) Take TEX out of the picture and do the whole thing using XSL:FO

I'd still vote for option 2, if possible.

Particularly because I'm still not sure why TEX needs to be a part of the picture at
all, if your eventual goal is a PDF file.  Cocoon works with XML data flowing through
the pipeline, so putting TEX in the middle is really mucking things up.

DR