Well I'm assuming that this will work, since it explicitly covers all the bases.
Start with this and then scale back, removing what you don't need.

    <map:match pattern="">
      <map:redirect-to uri="index.xml"/>
    </map:match>

    <map:match pattern="*.xml">
     <map:generate src="{1}.xml"/>
     <map:transform src="stylesheets/2html.xsl"/>
     <map:serialize type="html"/>
    </map:match>

    <map:match pattern="*/">
      <map:redirect-to uri="{1}/index.xml"/>
    </map:match>

    <map:match pattern="*/*.xml">
     <map:generate src="{1}/{2}.xml"/>
     <map:transform src="stylesheets/2html.xsl"/>
     <map:serialize type="html"/>
    </map:match>

DR