Hello everyone,

I am working on a simple site. The idea is

- storing XML-Data in some Database like Xindice,
- using Cocoon2 for processing and transformation.

For static data everything works fine. I am not sure, how to design the
system for prosessing dynamic content. I did an very small example, that
works in theory but has very poor performance. I guess I just did not catch
the point yet. Any hints would be appreciated.

I set up a pipeline, which gets some XML Data from Xindice und transforms
the data to XSP. This step is required because the retrieved Data always is
enclosed in <resources><resource> etc. elements. So at least I have to
enclose the things in an <xsp:page> element. Right?

Keeping things simple, I simulate the the Xindice-part with just a plain XML
File. This part of the sitemap looks like this:

<map:match pattern="generate-xsp">
  <map:generate type="file" src="xsp-test/generate-xsp.xml"/>
  <map:transform src="xsp-test/generate-xsp.xsl"/>
  <map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>

Fine. Next I use the pseudo protocol "cocoon" with the xsp generator to
proceed and process the xsp and transform, serialize it to html.

<map:match pattern="xsp">
  <map:generate type="serverpages" src="cocoon:/generate-xsp"/>
  <map:transform src="xsp-test/generate-html.xsl"/>
  <map:serialize type="html"/>
</map:match>

It is working fine and made me very happy. Thinking twice i realized that
the xsp gets compiled every time. Of course, cocoon cannot know if the xsp
has changed or not.

I have no idea what to do. I have a strong feeling, that this approach is
very, very bad. But I can't figur out a better solution.

Could anyone give me some advice?

One more question: Isn't this even the case if their is no XSP involved when
using a datastore like Xindice (or a SQL-Database) instead of the local file
system for static xml. I guess cocoon can't cache anything in this case?

Regards
Stefan

--
Stefan