Peter, Vadim,

>From: Vadim Gritsenko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
>> I'm like a blind man tuning a television!
>>
>> I understand from the documentation that I can tune the setting in
>> cocoon.xconf to control the cache, so that the most recently used objects are in
>> memory and less recently used objects are on disk. But a few points are unclear
>> to me could someone please expain?
>>
>>   <cache-transient
>>  class="org.apache.cocoon.components.store.MRUMemoryStore"
>> logger="core.store.transient">
>>    <parameter name="maxobjects"           value="100"/>
>>    <parameter name="use-persistent-cache" value="true"/>
>>   </cache-transient>
>>
>> 1) Does 'maxobject' just define the max number of objects in memory?
>> Or does it include the items on disk?
>
>Only in memory. When new object added and count increases over max,
>least recent used object is swapped to the persistent cache (read: hard
>drive)

Correct.

>> 2) When <parameter name="use-persistent-cache" value="true"/> do the
>> cached objects go onto disk only when maxobjects is exceeded?
>
>Yes, as of currect CVS. No for the 2.0.1.

Ahem yes of course for the 2.01 version too, or did I missed something
here. That's only a flag. You answered this question in #1...or did
I drunk to much beer tonight ;).

>> 3) Is there any control over the number of objects on the disk?
>
>No. Persistent cache does not have such controls. You can extend its
>implementation if you like.

Correct, no control. Maybe we can implement something with the new
Jisp based Filesystem store. It's possible to control the size of the
dat file.

>> 4) When the store-janitor decides to free memory, do the freed items
>> go to persistent-cache or are they lost?
>
>Depends on store implementation. MRU store in the CVS uses persistent
>cache to swap exceeding objects. Janitor does not care what store does
>with extra objects.

Again, I only see the main difference from 2.01 and CVS in the Jisp based
Filesystem Store component. Can you enlighten me, Vadim?

>> When I change these settings I am unable to see what is happening.
>>I've tried using the status page and its a great start but there's not enough
>>detail.
>
>Send in a patch!

Agree ;)

  ~Gerhard