The URL of the XML page that helped us so much is:

http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/xml/cocoon/install-notes-2-simple.xml

N.B.: It's an XML page with CSS2, so you will need an up-to-date web
browser to view it. Mozilla 0.9.8 and Opera 6.0 TP 3 do the job for
Linux, eg.

Generating just a jar file, instead of a war file has to do with the
build command as given in the XML page:
./build.sh  -Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes webapp

To produce a war file, you say:
./build.sh  -Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes -Dinstall.war=$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps
webapp

That's the only point that might be a little misleading in Daniel's
installation instruction. It should be possible to get it all working
with the jar file only, though, by copying it into $CATALINA_HOME/lib,
and -- maybe -- creating a webapp directory for cocoon. (Haven't tried
that, here).

Regarding your 404 error: Out of the box Tomcat is listening on port
8080, not 8180. Could this be it? Of course, you can change that...

Note: We haven't got *all* the examples working. Most of them do,
others, like the SVG example, don't. Nevertheless, we consider a huge
step forward! 8-)

Hope that helps,

        Peter

Peter Flynn wrote:
> Peter Baer writes:
>
>>Dear Daniel,
>>
>>thank you for making this info public. Especially your hints about
>>what versions to use helped me to finally get C2 working.
>>
>>The combination that works for us here is:
>>
>>- Java: Sun J2SDK 1.4.0
>>
>>- Cocoon: Development snapshot xml-cocoon2_20020219112118.tar.gz,
>>      built with JNDI using Java 1.4 from Sun
>>

> I just tried to build the only snapshot available in the CVS directory
> close to this date (xml-cocoon2_20020219172103.tar.gz) and it doesn't
> produce a cocoon.war file. It produces a cocoon.jar file instead. What
> should I do with it? Have you got a copy of the snapshot you used that
> I can download?
>
> My problem is that under no circumstances will tomcat do anything with
> cocoon.war. It just sits there in /var/tomcat/webapps. Is something
> supposed to happen when I restart tomcat? I'm still getting a 404
> for my http://localhost:8180/cocoon
>

>>- Tomcat: Jakarta-Tomcat 4.0.1 binary release
>>
>>- SuSE Linux 7.3
>>
>>With all other combinations we got one of the well-known errors:
>>Sitemap not available, major minor version number 48.0 etc.
>>
>>Eg, it *has not worked* with the Tomcat 4.0.2 binary release.
>>And it *does not work* with C2 release version 2.0.1.
>>
>>So, please, folks on this list who have trouble to get C2 running:
>>
>>Your *best chance* appears to be to try a *C2 development snapshot* with
>>*Tomcat 4.0.1* binary release!
>>
>>And thanks again, Daniel! Your XML page is of great value!
>>

> Could you please repost this URL?
>
> ///Peter

|    Peter C. A. Bär            | Siemens Business Services & Co. OHG |
|    Fon  +49.911.654-2387      | Von-der-Tann-Str. 30-31             |
|    Fax  +49.911.654-2108      | 90439 Nürnberg                      |
|                               | Deutschland                         |
|              >>>  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  <<<             |