Hi Gerhard,
I am using a source distribution I downloaded from from the apache dist site
at the end of January.

Some further information that might be of interest:
 - My testing environment did NOT exhibited this behaviour even after I
bombarded it for a full hour using jmeter running 30+ threads.
 - The production server went into this state within 2 minutes of running a
scaled back version (6 threads) of the same jmeter test.

Production is RedHat 6.1 (2.2.12-20) jdk1.3.1_01
Test is SuSe 6.4 (2.2.14) jdk1.3.0
both are tomcat 3.2.3

My config is:
 Tomcat:
      -Xmx 256M  -Xms 128M
 StoreJanitor:
      <parameter name="freememory" value="64000000"/>
      <parameter name="heapsize" value="256000000"/>

After reading the links you've provided, I see that I may have to
re-consider these settings.

Are you aware of any kernel or JDK version issues that may cause problems?

Thanks for the information!

colin.