Hi Peter,

As far as I know, the .tar.gz and the .zip files have exactly the same
content. I always choose the .tar.gz and Cocoon works fine in Linux and
Windows.

The reason why the .tar.gz is smaller is that the files are tarred together
first to create one large file which is then gzipped. In the zip, each file
is zipped seperately and then stored in a single zip file.

The larger tar file has higher data entropy than the individual files in the
zip and so can be compressed to a greater degree.

If you are using Windows and you have a decompresser for gzipped tar files
(e.g. WinZip) then you'll save some download time by choosing the .tar.gz

Hope this helps,

Regards

Chris