I tend to put log messages in the offending areas and look in
....webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/logs
make sure that WEB-INF/logkit.conf has all the logging turned to DEBUG.
  The line number in element processor is a good clue.

I kinda think that perhaps your stylesheets have something in common and
one is doing something to snuff out an expected value (but thats just an
unqualified guess).

Wow, writing your own serializer for HSSF sounds a bit extreme...lots of
work.  What specifically about the current serializer do you dislike?
 Granted keeping up with Gnumeric's changes to their fileformat
(especially since they are less than meticulous about documenting the
changes) is somewhat problematic, it beats having no visual
representation/check of your design (or at least that was the
rationale).   I think once you get the hang of the "elementprocessor"
architecture, you'll find this one is quite simple.  I also think that
if you stick a few log statements you'll find out what the problem is.
 I'll be on this soon as well.  Just realize I have a long backlog of
"andy-to-do" so if I'm less than fast...well probably another task just
was sooner in the queue.

Personally, I'd rather see some collaboration on the Serializer then
have multiple ones.  If you think there is something inherently wrong
with the current one (other than the inevitable bugs to be fixed), I'd
like to hear your viewpoints on how to improve it.

-Andy