I'm using
Win2k Server SP2
Tomcat 4.0.1
JDK 1.3.1_02
Cocoon 2.1-dev (yesterdays CVS HEAD)
Acrobat Reader 5.0

and the two PDF's in the samples do work in IE 6.0.2600!
The two samples are
http://localhost:8080/cocoon/hello.pdf
http://localhost:8080/cocoon/fo (can be found in the static content part of
the samples)

Notice that the second example does not use a pdf extention.
So IE should work!  Check out the samples.
Bert