You can install *headless X* (Xvfb) which is BTW faster than X.  Or you
can just *not* install Batik (delete the batik jar and compile cocoon).
The samples may have to be tweaked not to use Batik, but it will work.

Lastly if you're really industrious you can use PJA....but I couldn't
get the sucker to work with jdk 1.3.1.

-Andy

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 10:03, Daniel Vogelheim wrote:
> Hello Zack,
>
> >Apparently a lot of people have been having trouble getting mySQL+C2 to work
> >with the 1.4 JDK. I'd try 1.3 and see if that helps any. HTH.
>
> Thanks; that solves it. With IBM's JDK 1.3 my setup worked right away.
>
> The reason I used JDK 1.4 is because I don't run X. According to the
> FAQ, only JDK 1.4 can run in 'headless' mode, and indeed with JDK 1.3
> Cocoon doesn't start unless I also run X. So my problem is solved for
> now, but I'm hoping for a better long-term solution (i.e., no X, and
> still MySQL access).
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
> Sincerely,
> Daniel
>

> [original problem was:]
> >> I have a problem connecting to a MySQL database with Cocoon. When I
> >> try to access a page that goes through the SQLTransformer, the browser
> >> doesn't deliver any result. There's no error message, the browser just
> >> sits there and waits for data. The Coccon core.log file contains an
> >> error message "No valid Jdbc Connection class available". (More
> >> details follow below.)
> >>
> >> I've checked Google, the mailing list archive, and the FAQs, but
> >> didn't find anything that seemed to help. I'm surely missing
> >> something; aynone out there can help me?
> [snip]

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
                    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh