I've done some quit extensive programming using Layers with JavaScript.  It
is perfectly possible to create this and the user would indeed perceive it
as being faster.  The problem is that the server does not know what is
going on (as Carsten already pointed out) and that using client side
JavaScript does have some infringements on the JavaScript support of the
browser.  Making your code work with ALL browsers is nearly
impossible.  Many of my colleagues have migrated to using server side
scripting as much as possible and only use client side when there is no
other way.  This is a bit extreme to my opinion, since it creates a lot of
overhead on bandwidth, but it surely is the safest way since most code runs
in a well known and controlled environment.

Bert