Hi,
I had the same problem with esql in a Dynamic XSLT using XSP.  There was no
solution found or given, so I made a workaround and skipped the logic sheet
and did everything straight in Java.
I too find the behavior very strange and would rather see this solved.  It
would open a lot of possibilities in XSP.
Bert