> From: Adrian Petru Dimulescu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Hello,
>
> I imagine a search engine which would propose several relevant
paragraphs in
> several books of a small digital libraries. The user woud click on the
first
> result and cocoon serves the 2nd paragraph of the 3rd chapter of
Genesis of
> the Old Testament of the Bible
> (in other words: http://url/bible?select=1/1/3/2 )
>
> It would be then nice to be able serve a subtree of my choice.
>
> I would also like the user to be able to browse a tree-like structure
of this
> small digital library. The user opens the "Bible" node and then the
Genesis
> node and then its first subchapter. Then he closes everything up and
opens
> the, say, Shakespeare node, and then Macbeth and then its acts.
>
> The idea, I guess, is to build an arborescent structure of books.
>
> *
> I am no expert in XSLT processing but somehow I took for granted that
> isolating a *small* subtree of a *big* XML should not mean actually
scanning
> the whole big file.

It does mean exactly this, unless you help it with predicate like [1] to
extract only first occurrence. Then it could be possible to scan only
from the beginning of the file to the end of the desired chapter, and
not all file.

> I suspect however that Xalan validates the XML before doing the
transformation

No, Xalan does not validates XML. And Xerces also does not validates XML
- with default Cocoon settings.

> which is slow because then the *entire* file has to be actually
scanned. In

It has to be scanned because of other reasons.

> that sense, I wonder if it is possible to disable validating.

It is disabled by default.

Vadim